Customer Energy Solutions
4815 Mueller Blvd.
Austin, TX 78723-3573
Saving energy and money go hand-in-hand. We can all contribute to reducing Austin’s energy demand by making simple lifestyle changes and energy-efficient home improvements. When demand decreases, we all save. Austin Energy is committed to helping our customers achieve the greatest savings possible.
Become a Power Partner to save energy and money.
As of June 1, 2023, new Power Partner applicants will receive a $50 bill credit for each eligible thermostat plus an additional $25 annually for each thermostat that remains enrolled in the program. Austin Energy also offers a $30 rebate for buying and installing a new smart thermostat.
How to Apply
Enjoy two ways to save with an eligible smart thermostat.
Already Have a Smart Thermostat?
Homeowners and renters can earn a $50 bill credit for each eligible thermostat enrolled in the Power Partner program,
plus $25 annually for each thermostat that remains enrolled. Power Partner participants who enrolled before June 1, 2023 and remain active will also be eligible to receive $25 annual incentives.
Starting in the fall, customers will receive their annual incentives within 1-2 billing cycles of the same month in which each eligible thermostat was enrolled. For example, if you enroll your thermostat in June 2023, you will receive your annual $25 incentive between June and July 2024.
As a Power Partner participant, you agree to let Austin Energy adjust your thermostat on a handful of high energy use days.
As a Power Partner, you can:
- Save money on your energy bills by using less energy
- Lower the cost of electricity in our community
- Enhance power grid reliability during times of high energy use
- Reduce your carbon footprint
Power Partner events occur on days when electricity is in high demand or when there is an emergency. On these days, Austin Energy will initiate Power Partner events that briefly adjust your thermostat settings by 2 to 4 degrees to help manage high energy use throughout the community.
As a Power Partner, your participation in these events can increase your energy savings without significantly impacting comfort.
Most Power Partner community energy events will:
- Occur for two hours between 3:00–6:00 p.m. during the summer (June 1–Sept. 30). During extreme weather circumstances, Austin Energy may conduct events outside of these windows.
- Adjust your thermostat by 2 to 4 degrees, which may include pre-cooling or pre-heating prior to an event to help prolong your initial comfort level. Pre-cooling and pre-heating adjust your existing thermostat setting by 2 degrees, up to 30 minutes beforehand.
- Occur on non-holiday weekdays. During extreme weather circumstances, Austin Energy may conduct events on holidays and weekends.
- Occur no more than three times per week and no more than 25 times during the year. During extreme weather circumstances, Austin Energy may conduct events up to five times per week.
You can override Power Partner events at any time by simply adjusting the temperature at your thermostat or on the thermostat app. Customers who wish to permanently discontinue their participation in Power Partner events may do so by submitting a Power Partner Opt Out request.
Note: We do not recommend participating in this offering if someone in your home or office is experiencing serious health problems.
Learn more about the Power Partner Program
Thinking of Buying a Smart Thermostat?
Austin Energy customers qualify for a $30 rebate for each new eligible, smart thermostat installed at home. Read the Eligibility tab for details.
Once you install the new thermostat, consider becoming a Power Partner. You will get a $50 bill credit for each smart thermostat you enroll plus an additional $25 annually for each thermostat that remains enrolled in the program.
Eligibility and Enrollment
To enroll as a Power Partner and qualify for the $50 bill credit, find your eligible thermostat manufacturer and model in the Eligibility tab and click the How to Enroll link.
If purchased within the last 90 days, these devices are also eligible for a separate $30 rebate after purchase and installation.
Austin Energy will provide:
- A $50 bill credit for each eligible thermostat you enroll in the Power Partner program (see Eligibility tab for more details). The credit will appear as an “Adjustment” line item within 1-2 billing cycles after approval.
- An additional $25 annual bill credit for each eligible thermostat that remains enrolled in the Power Partner program.
- Starting in the fall of 2023, customers will receive their annual incentives within 1-2 billing cycles of the same month in which each eligible thermostat was enrolled. For example, if you enroll your thermostat in June 2023, you will receive your annual $25 incentive between June and July 2024.
- A $30 rebate for Austin Energy customers who buy and install eligible thermostats. Apply online
- You must agree to a post-installation inspection by Austin Energy, if necessary.
- Existing equipment must be installed and operational.
- You agree to allow Austin Energy to schedule initial and final site visits, if applicable.
- You must provide invoices and equipment specifications, if requested by Austin Energy.
- All rights to environmental attributes and credits resulting from energy savings are assigned to Austin Energy. This includes renewable energy and carbon offset credits.
- Commercial customers must provide tonnage of standard air conditioning system.
- Air conditioning equipment must be in good mechanical condition and controlled by an approved, communicating thermostat device.
- You must use an Austin Energy-approved smart thermostat from the list below.
|Vendor||Thermostat Models||How to Enroll|
Trane ComfortLink Control; RCS Z-Wave Communicating Thermostat; GoControl Z-wave Thermostat; Alarm.com Smart Thermostat
|Enroll with Alarm.com|
|Amazon||Smart Thermostat||Enroll with Amazon|
|ecobee||ecobee, ecobee 3, ecobee 3 lite, ecobee 4, ecobee 5, ecobee Smart Si, ecobee SmartThermostat with voice control, ecobee Premium, ecobee Smart Thermostat Enhanced||Enroll with ecobee (pdf)|
|Emerson||Sensi™ Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat, Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat||Enroll with Emerson|
|Filtrete||Filtrete 3M-50 (WiFi)||Enroll with Filtrete|
|Honeywell Home||Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, Wi-Fi 9000 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, 9000 Smart Thermostat, 7-Day Programmable Smart Thermostat, VisionPro 8000 Smart Thermostat, Round Smart Thermostat, T5+ Smart Thermostat, T6 Pro Smart Thermostat, T9 Smart Thermostat, T10 Smart Thermostat||Enroll with Honeywell Home|
|Lux Products||LUX/GEO, LUX KONO||Enroll with Lux|
Nest Thermostat, Nest Learning Thermostat, Nest Thermostat E
|Enroll with Nest|
|Pelican Wireless||TS200, TS200H, TS250, TS250H||Enroll with Pelican Wireless|
†Select thermostats must be installed by a third-party installer as part of an alarm system package.
Register your eligible device with the manufacturer.
How to Receive Your $50 Bill Credit
- Connect your thermostat to a home Wi-Fi network or a networked hub in your apartment/condo complex. Create your thermostat account with your thermostat manufacturer using your computer or smartphone.
- Click on the enrollment instructions for your specific device make and model, listed on the Description tab.
- Follow the instructions in the email you receive from the thermostat manufacturer to complete your application.
- If approved, you will receive confirmation by email from the thermostat manufacturer. If approved, you should receive your bill credit within 1-2 billing cycles of enrolling.
How to Apply for Your $30 Rebate
A $30 separate purchase and installation rebate is also available to Austin Energy customers with eligible devices. Apply online
Tips for Applying Online
- If you choose to submit the online rebate application, you will need to have all required information on hand before you start.
- You will need to complete and submit the application in a single session. You cannot save your information and start again later. Active sessions time out after one hour of inactivity.
We can help you learn more about your rebate and savings options before you apply.
Apply for a $30 Rebate Online
You can apply for your $30 rebate online once you purchase your Power Partner Thermostat.
Are You Waiting For a Rebate?
Use the confirmation (enrollment) and utility account numbers to check the status of your rebate application.
Funding is limited and available only to Austin Energy customers on a first-come, first-served basis. Offerings are subject to change without notice.