Customer Energy Solutions
4815 Mueller Blvd.
Austin, TX 78723-3573
Your residents will thank you when you choose energy-efficient appliances and bulbs for your rental units.
Save energy and money during ENERGY STAR tax holiday
Mark your calendar for Memorial Day weekend, and the Texas Comptroller's annual ENERGY STAR® Sales Tax Holiday. This is a chance to potentially save hundreds of dollars on certain appliances with the ENERGY STAR sticker. The tax holiday runs from 12:01 a.m. Saturday, May 27 through midnight Monday, May 29.
According to the Comptroller's website, qualifying products with the ENERGY STAR label include:
- Air conditioners (with a sales price of $6,000 or less)
- Refrigerators (with a sales price of $2,000 or less)
- Ceiling fans
- Incandescent and fluorescent light bulbs
- Clothes washers
For more information visit comptroller.texas.gov and search "energy star sales tax holiday."
The ENERGY STAR® label helps you easily identify and purchase products for your multifamily property that use less energy, save money, and help protect the environment. Replace old appliances with ENERGY STAR products and save your residents money.
Learn more about ENERGY STAR products for the home
Refrigerators use more electricity than any other kitchen appliance. Buy ENERGY STAR refrigerators and save your residents as much as $35 a year on their utility bills. If your refrigerators are more than 10 years old, a new ENERGY STAR model can be as much as 50% more efficient.
Find ENERGY STAR refrigerators
What makes a refrigerator energy efficient?
- Heavy doors with tight seals prevent cool air from escaping.
- An energy saver thermostat inside the refrigerator regulates the temperature.
- New refrigerators have better insulation, more efficient compressors, and improved temperature and defrost controls.
Air conditioning makes up the largest part of your residents’ energy bill in the summer. Buying ENERGY STAR air conditioners can save a significant amount of money.
Learn more about air conditioner rebates for multifamily properties
Find an ENERGY STAR air conditioner
What makes an air conditioner energy efficient?
- A higher Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) number means an air conditioner is more energy efficient.
- The air conditioner size should match conditioned area of the room. If the air conditioner is too big or small, it will either run too much or not enough, costing you money. Your air conditioning contractor or appliance dealer can help you pick the right size.
- ENERGY STAR air conditioners have more efficient compressors, better fan motors, and an improved heat transfer surface.
Light–Emitting Diode (LED) Bulbs
Save your residents money when you replace standard bulbs with ENERGY STAR light bulbs. LEDs last much longer and are more efficient than both compact fluorescent lamps (CFL) and incandescent bulbs.
Learn more about high efficiency lighting
What Makes LEDs Energy Efficient?
- LEDs, on average, use only a tenth of the electricity and last 50 times longer than incandescent bulbs.
- They are also twice as efficient, lasting five times longer than CFLs.
ENERGY STAR dishwashers exceed federal efficiency standards by at least 13%. Most of the energy is saved through more efficient use of water.
What makes a dishwasher energy efficient?
- Effective washing action eliminates the need for pre-rinsing the dishes.
- No-heat drying options allow you to let the dishes air dry.
- Internal heaters boost water temperature to 140 degrees to sanitize dishes.
- More efficient motors use less energy to operate.
- Some models "sense" how dirty your dishes are and adjust the length of the cycles to compensate.
ENERGY STAR clothes washers use up to 50% less energy and water than a standard clothes washer.
Find ENERGY STAR clothes washers
What makes a clothes washer energy efficient?
- Front loaders use less water and energy to heat the water.
- High speed spin cycles spin more vigorously and use less energy.
- With automatic water controls, stains and soap residue are removed through a high-pressure spray.
Save Money with Energy Improvements for Multifamily Properties
Austin Energy can help your multifamily property become energy efficient. Learn more about rebates for: