Customer Energy Solutions,
4815 Mueller Blvd.
Austin, TX 78723-3573
Saving energy and money go hand-in-hand. We can all contribute to reducing Austin’s energy demand by making simple lifestyle changes and energy-efficient home improvements. When demand decreases, we all save. Austin Energy is committed to helping our customers achieve the greatest savings possible.
Insulation has the challenging and important job of creating a barrier of thermal resistance to prevent heat transfer. When installed properly, it can provide increased comfort, safety, and health to occupants while helping to save money on heating and cooling bills.
How to Apply
Find a Contractor
If residents are noticing high energy bills, drafty rooms, and uneven temperatures between rooms, you may need to increase the insulation. Insulation provides resistance to heat flow, keeping heat out during our hot summers and keeping heat in during the winter. If heat flow is not properly resisted, HVAC systems can become overworked, wasting money and energy. Proper insulation:
- Improves energy efficiency
- Lowers energy costs
- Provides greater comfort
- Reduces noise
Financing is Available
Affordable, long-term financing is available to cover the cost for energy efficiency, water conservation, and onsite generation technologies.
Rebates range from $0.71 to $1.19 per sq ft depending on the installed R-Value (R10 – R30), or the difference between the baseline and final insulation level.
- Guidelines and Requirements: Multifamily Standard Rebates (pdf)
- Guidelines and Requirements: Multifamily Income Qualified Rebates (pdf)
- Property must be 10 years old dated from Certificate of Occupancy.
- You must apply for the rebate before installation.
- Existing ceiling insulation must have an overall R-value of R-22 or less.
- When calculating existing R-value, use the value from the Insulation R-value table below. Otherwise, if materials are unknown or are of mixed types, assume R-2 per inch.
- You must install insulation between the roof surface and the mechanically conditioned space.
- Final insulation must be R-30 or greater and insulate all attic floor space.
- Insulation markers are required every 300 feet.
- All materials must have at least a one-year installation warranty and three-year product warranty.
- Attic hatch must be insulated, dammed and tagged.
- Ceiling penetrations for venting appliances or exhaust fans must be dammed.
- Knee walls must be insulated with R-19 batt insulation and netted.
- Electrical junction boxes must be securely covered before blowing insulation.
- Properties that have evidence of roof leaks or rodent infestation will not be eligible to participate in this rebate until the situation has been remediated.
Comply with ECAD to Qualify for Rebate
If your multifamily property is 10 years or older and located within the Austin city limits, you must be in compliance with the Energy Conservation Audit and Disclosure (ECAD) ordinance before receiving a rebate check. ECAD promotes energy efficiency by identifying potential energy savings for your property.
Properties that have not completed an ECAD audit are eligible to receive a rebate (capped at $2,500) to cover the audit cost. Get ECAD audit rebate details
Provide your contact information. We have streamlined our process to get you started quickly!
- An Austin Energy representative will contact you to collect information about your multifamily community and determine rebate eligibility.
- We will provide trained staff to help complete and submit the application.
We need to assess your property or multifamily community to determine rebate eligibility.
- Once your application has been accepted, a participating contractor will schedule a site visit to develop and review the scope of work with you.
- Austin Energy will issue a Letter of Intent (LOI) and the participating contractor will have 120 days to complete the installation.
- Austin Energy staff will conduct real time inspections to keep the project on time and ensure a quality project.
- An Austin Energy Program Coordinator will schedule a final inspection with the property manager or owner to confirm that all work was performed to expectations.
- The rebate will be paid to the contractor if authorized by the account holder.
Contact Austin Energy for More Information
Call 512-482-5346 or email Multifamily Rebates if you have any questions about our rebates.
Participating Contractor Required for Rebate
Austin Energy requires that you use an Austin Energy participating contractor to qualify for this rebate. Participating contractors meet Austin Energy requirements for licensure, insurance, workmanship, and equipment.
The selection of a Participating Contractor to perform work is the sole decision of the property owner and/or authorized lessee/occupant. Inclusion in this directory does not represent an endorsement by Austin Energy of any product, individual, or company. No work is guaranteed or warranty expressed or implied, and Austin Energy makes no guarantees as to the quality, cost, or effectiveness of the products provided and work performed by the contractor, employees, or subcontractors.
Rebates are paid only after Austin Energy has approved the rebate application and conducted any necessary site inspections. All installed equipment must comply with local, state, and federal regulations, including building code and permitting requirements. Offerings, program requirements, and rebate levels are subject to change without notice. Funding is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. The maximum combined rebate is $300,000 per customer site per fiscal year (October through September).