Customer Energy Solutions
4815 Mueller Blvd.
Austin, TX 78723-3573
Saving energy and money go hand-in-hand. We can all contribute to reducing Austin’s energy demand by making simple lifestyle changes and energy-efficient home improvements. When demand decreases, we all save. Austin Energy is committed to helping our customers achieve the greatest savings possible.
Save money and keep your residents' home comfortable and cool. Install a new energy-efficient air conditioning system and earn a rebate.
How to Apply
Find a Contractor
Save energy and money while keeping your residents comfortable and cool. Replace old heating and air conditioning systems with energy-efficient models that use up to 40% less electricity.
You can earn a rebate for installing new energy-efficient air conditioners, mini splits, or heat pump systems when using one of our licensed air conditioning Multifamily Participating Contractors or your maintenance staff. Installations must be done in compliance with program guidelines.
Our Multifamily Rebates are for energy efficiency improvements installed in residential and common areas to benefit the entire community.
Financing is Available
Affordable, long-term financing is available to cover the cost for energy efficiency, water conservation, and onsite generation technologies.
Rebate ranges from $230 to $290 per Ton and is based on the Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) level of installed air conditioner, mini split or heat pump.
- Guidelines and Requirements: Multifamily Standard Rebates (pdf)
- Guidelines and Requirements: Multifamily Income Qualified Rebates (pdf)
- The HVAC system must exceed the minimum performance requirements established in the IECC/city code applicable at the time of installation
- The AHRI certificate of the proposed equipment is required to submit an application
- The equipment should be appropriately sized and should be able to satisfy cooling and heating requirements of the space
- Mechanical permits are required to perform installation and pass code inspections to receive rebates
- For gas HVAC units, the space will be equipped with CO and Smoke monitors
Comply with ECAD to Qualify for Rebate
If your multifamily property is 10 years or older and located within the Austin city limits, you must be in compliance with the Energy Conservation Audit and Disclosure (ECAD) ordinance before receiving a rebate check. ECAD promotes energy efficiency by identifying potential energy savings for your property.
Properties that have not completed an ECAD audit are eligible to receive a rebate (capped at $2,500) to cover the audit cost. Get ECAD audit rebate details
Provide your contact information. We have streamlined our process to get you started quickly!
- An Austin Energy representative will contact you to collect information about your multifamily community and determine rebate eligibility.
- We will provide trained staff to help complete and submit the application.
We need to assess your property or multifamily community to determine rebate eligibility.
- Once your application has been accepted, a participating contractor will schedule a site visit to develop and review the scope of work with you.
- Austin Energy will issue a Letter of Intent (LOI) and the participating contractor will have 120 days to complete the installation.
- Austin Energy staff will conduct real time inspections to keep the project on time and ensure a quality project.
- An Austin Energy Program Coordinator will schedule a final inspection with the property manager or owner to confirm that all work was performed to expectations.
- The rebate will be paid to the contractor if authorized by the account holder.
Contact Austin Energy for More Information
Call 512-482-5346 or email Multifamily Rebates if you have any questions about our rebates.
Participating Contractor Required for Rebate
Austin Energy requires that you use an Austin Energy participating contractor to qualify for this rebate. Participating contractors meet Austin Energy requirements for licensure, insurance, workmanship, and equipment.
The selection of a Participating Contractor to perform work is the sole decision of the property owner and/or authorized lessee/occupant. Inclusion in this directory does not represent an endorsement by Austin Energy of any product, individual, or company. No work is guaranteed or warranty expressed or implied, and Austin Energy makes no guarantees as to the quality, cost, or effectiveness of the products provided and work performed by the contractor, employees, or subcontractors.
Rebates are paid only after Austin Energy has approved the rebate application and conducted any necessary site inspections. All installed equipment must comply with local, state, and federal regulations, including building code and permitting requirements. Offerings, program requirements, and rebate levels are subject to change without notice. Funding is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. The maximum combined rebate is $300,000 per customer site per fiscal year (October through September).